Wednesday, March 7, 2012

No Time for Tact or Eloquence

Today is the day to raise awareness about our society's need to discourage the use of the words "retard" or "retarded" as hate-filled and socially inappropriate.

I'm too worn from writing grad school term papers to form more than a few coherent sentences, but you can look back to some entries I devoted to the subject when my brain was less numb.

The Infamous R-Word

Gray, Sticky Territory

I'm Angry

This is the Generation

A Delayed Response

Here's the deal.

When you use, hear, say, or tolerate the word "retard" you're attacking Pudge. 

You're attacking Biggs.

If you don't believe that, go do a Google image search of the word "retard" and then come tell me it doesn't apply to people with a diagnosis of Down syndrome.

You don't say nigger.

You don't say fag.

You don't say kike or gook or coon.

You don't hear them or read them without becoming uncomfortable.

Add retard to that list.

I'm pretty sure it won't leave you horribly tongue-tied.

And the pay off for ending your tolerance of the word, might just be big enough to change the world.

I know it will change theirs.



17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Great post, and OH SO CUTE LC (and Jace) but LC in the yellow. Pretty sure my heart just skipped a beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics. That yellow is stunning on Pudge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH gosh they are adroable! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pudge looks so beautiful! Love the vintage-like dress!!! And Biggs is a "stud!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may have read your entire blog in a day or two. I'm not sure how I found it, but I love it. Thank you for showing the world your beautiful family. Plus I love your crafty ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kids are two of the cutest little squibs EVER! Love 'em to pieces! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully said, I have never seen cuter pics of the squibs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even when you think you aren't well spoken, I still find myself saying well said friend. Right on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my lords...they r too cute! Squeeze em for me...i desperately miss their antic updates on fb! Ollie is getting 6 teeth and on antibiotics...wild craps is on the loose in our house...pun intended!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok your kids are out of this world gorgeous! I have 6 of my own 5 boys and 1 sweet little girl with alittle extra special. thank you for advocating for our children. I read your family story and it is just beautiful! I will be back for sure! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your babies!!!

    I subscribed to your blog so I can read about them everyday!

    I have 16 month old twins, so I can relate to your theory of their goal of destroying the house!

    Thanks you for sharing them with us!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Leave us a note to let us know you dropped by!